You have probably been reading all about it in the media…today is “Blue Monday”; otherwise known as the bleakest day of the year. Supposedly, a combination of weather, holiday debt, and the feeling of failure of our New Year’s resolutions are a perfect recipe for a nasty, crushing case of the blues.
I get it! I can see how all of these things can make you feel like a bag of dirt today. But, consider the following:
-Blue Monday is one day. It could be worse…it could be Blue January…or Blue Winter!!
-Its really a crock. Savvy marketers are using it as a business tactic. One article I read about “Blue Monday” says it was all because of some marketing ploy to get more people to think about buying trips to sunny destinations.
That being said…there are some things that you can do to not only get through the day but to maybe reinvigorate yourself about making some positive changes in your life.
1) Snap out of it…just because we read everywhere that today is Blue Monday, doesn’t mean it has to be for you! Don’t let others around you get you down!
2) Move!! I don’t know about you, but I am going to yoga tonight. The class is called a “Dynamic Vinyasa Flow”. I did it for the first time last week. Its just a regular yoga class filled with lots of movement, twists and challenging postures, but amped up a few notches. Couldn’t come at a better time!
3) Pop some Vitamin D….if its cloudy where you are…purchase some Vitamin D or eat foods that are rich in Vitamin D..such as different kinds of fish, eggs or certain kinds of fortified cereals. If its sunny where you are…get outside and let all that wonderful Vitamin D flow through you. If its cold…wear a scarf!
4) Do something out of character…if you are all about routine and the doldrums of Monday are really bumming you out…do something different. It could be anything from calling someone you haven’t spoken to in a long time, to going for a noon-day walk, investigating a new course or class you want to take…something that you don’t normally do. Stir it up a bit.
5) Don’t wish it away…its ONE day! Everyone seems to have a disdain for Mondays. They are just another day in the week. If we all wished away our Mondays, we would be wasting 52 days out of every year! That is like throwing away almost two months of your life every year just because its a Monday. If its easier, call Monday something else. Got any good names?
If the crappy cold weather, a few extra pounds and a few extra dollars on the credit card are the only things that are really making you feel blue, believe me, it could be a lot worse. Remember, every day above ground is a good day…a new day filled with opportunity, promise and hope.
So, deal with it and get out of your funk!